Question:
A co-worker is asking me to sponser his wife, so she can come over from India. What are the drawbacks.?
tyingtobenice
2006-02-16 12:56:17 UTC
The co-worker is not a citizen. He has tried and failed. Everyone I have asked tells me that sponsering someone is like adopting a child. I am responsible for her? I do not have the money or resources for this. But, I feel bad for him.
Three answers:
cafefinal
2006-02-16 14:37:10 UTC
Following up on Jason's answer above, yes you will be responsible if you are filing based on I-864. This implies that financial liability can come on you.

Fake marriage - same response don't even think about cause you will serve time if they find out and INS has ways to do that. They are a pretty sneaky bunch of people.

Suggestion for your friend is he should approach a good immigration lawyer or try through the company's immigration lawyer. There have been numerous case in my personal knowledge where going through the sponsoring company helps.
Jason
2006-02-16 22:02:46 UTC
Define “sponsor”?

If you’re talking about filling out and signing an Affidavit of Support (Form I-864), then you’re just promising the government that you won’t let her become a “public charge.” Essentially, you just have to show you have enough income (tax returns and W2s) to pick up the tabs of her living expense, and that she won’t be relying on any type of government program (e.g. welfare).

Now, if you’re talking about the other type of “sponsor” – i.e. fake marriage with his wife so you can petition her, DON’T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. USCIS is now very good at catching those fake marriages (after YEARS of experience). Also, you’re talking at least 3 years of commitment, because the entire petitioning process takes that long – from nothing to getting her a permanent green card. I don’t think I have to get into the details about the legal consequences if caught, but you can rest assured that it won’t be pretty.
2006-02-18 23:16:27 UTC
Well legally you are responsible for her expenses. However if you know him well & trust him I dont see it as an issue. I have seen that happen before with no problems.

Good Luck